I’ve been pretty quiet over here. Nothing has been happening over here on the foster care front but I do have a couple of updates from the last one.
- The “in-the-air” situation that I discussed on the last foster care update was little Roly. We actually did respite for her again the weekend before last. However, I’ve been told that the guardian ad-litem is really pushing for a kinship placement. Maybe one day I’ll be able to talk more about this situation but in this case, I appreciate the GAL working hard and looking at her case with long-term frame of mind. I know the GAL can present some challenges for families looking to adopt but they are important in providing an advocate for the voiceless.
- We were called about a private adoption – one of the adoption agencies had an African-American boy born and no family interested in adopting him. She made it clear that there would be a fee involved. Wood and I discussed and although we could go home in the next couple of days with a newborn, we didn’t feel like it was the right fit for our family. I didn’t even ask about the fee.
- On the 11-month old girl – we didn’t make it to the next phase for the RAS
- We have not received any calls from emergency foster care. This seems very surprising.
- Our name has been placed in the hat for a four-month old. We shall see.
I had a conversation with our agency worker last week and she is surprised that we have submitted our homestudy for at least two situations and have not even made it to the RAS. She says that we have most of the dynamics that case workers are looking for: African-American, married, fairly young, educated, live in a nice neighborhood, financially stable. However, we still aren’t being chosen.
She thinks that there is something in our homestudy that may be turning case workers away.
Wood and I have reviewed our homestudy and we there were some assessments that we did not agree with. We were pretty new to process and a bit unsure about how much we could push, but when we review this time, we will be a little bit more forceful about things that are not a correct assessment of our family dynamic or history.
So it’s pretty quiet now. We continue to wait.